Pontcysyllte Aqueduct – Directions
1.The walk starts at the footbridge crossing the canal at Trevor Basin. Take the canalside and, just after passing the visitor centre and just before reaching the viaduct, by the ‘hand sculpture’ take the signposted path that forks left and down. For an alternative start at Chirk Station, see Variation 2 below
2. Carry straight on past the first signpost and head down in the direction of the aqueduct. At the signpost immediately before the aqueduct, take the left turn signposted Tŷ Mawr Country Park and head down the hill on steep steps. At the bottom of the descent, turn left and follow the path through the wooded area.
3. Keep following this path and the signposts for Tŷ Mawr Country Park. Immediately after crossing the shallow humpback bridge, take the path on the right signposted Tŷ Mawr Country Park.
4. Follow this path as it skirts along the edge of the meadow by the river until crossing a timber-edged causeway and then reaching some steps up to another path where there is a sign indicating the various amenities within Tŷ Mawr. Turn right and walk along this path heading towards the viaduct that is visible in the distance.
5. Follow the path as it passes alongside the River Dee and then around to the left, alongside the railway viaduct until reaching the yellow gate just beyond the picnic area adjacent to the circular dovecote.
6. Cross the lane and go through the other yellow gate to reach a path with wooden railings that twists up through the wooded area towards the Park’s Visitor Centre. Follow the signs in the direction of refreshments and toilets.
7. At the main building, turn right passing in front of the building and towards the bollards and exit. Carry straight on past the bollards and the entry to the car park. On reaching the road (Cae-Gwilym Lane) turn right and follow the lane round to the left to pass under the railway arch.
8. At the end of the lane, turn right along the main road (B5605). Follow this road as it passes through Newbridge and across the River Dee with fine views on both sides and then heads up towards Chirk.
9. After passing the two roads turning off to the left at Pentre and after crossing the railway bridge, immediately before the bridge over the Llangollen Canal, turn right at the signpost for the Aqueduct and follow the canal tow path. This section until it reaches the footbridge at Frontcysyllte is part of Offa’s Dyke Path.
10. Follow the tow path and cross the aqueduct to return to the starting point. For an alternative start avoidng the aqueduct, see Variation 1 below
Variation 1, to avoid walking across the aqueduct.
When following the canal towpath on the final stage, after passing the Lime Kiln on the far side of the canal at Froncysyllte, cross the footbridge or lift bridge and then turn right. Pass through the car park and on reaching the road, turn right.
Follow this road down, across the Bont Bridge, and then up the hill until reaching the signposted footpath on the right. Follow this path back to Trevor Basin.
Variation 2, Starting and finishing at Chirk railway station
Exit the station and turn right along the road. Just before the bridge that crosses the Shropshire Union Canal, turn right and join the canal towpath. Follow this path for 2 miles until joining the main route at the bend in the canal just after it passes under the bridge for the B5605.
For the return to Chirk railway station retrace this route on reaching this bridge again on the main route.